Data journalist, Distilled PR - All
This job is located in London, All (map)
The Distilled team is looking to hire a bright, resourceful and creative Data journalist/PR Researcher.
We are looking for someone who loves sourcing reliable data and doing some heavy number crunching to help inform interesting stories hidden within datasets. You should be excited about developing the way that data is interpreted and presented online.
The ideal candidate will be bursting with story ideas, and have their own thoughts on how to best apply data-driven journalism, specifically including dynamic mapping, and still and interactive graphics to communicate with an online audience.
You will be required to present complicated data in a user friendly format and identify opportunities to humanize statistics and inform creative content relevant to key news events. You will be asked to focus on a broad subject base, ranging from topics like employment figures right through to mapping the history of music.
Our existing creative team comprises of 5 people; 2 designers, 1 interactive designer, 1 PR Consultant and 1 Project Manager. A core aspect of your job will be highlighting key facts quickly and communicating why they are significant to the team to help inform and produce creative content from your work.
Ideally you will:
- Be superb at cleaning and refining datasets and determining whether sources are reliable
- Have knowledge of statistics, statistical analysis, with a good understanding of the range and breadth of data sources in the UK and internationally
- Be an analytical thinker - be able to simplify complex problems, break them down into their component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically
- Be able to transform ideas into well substantiated engaging stories
- Be able to research interesting and reliable data using online and other resources
- Be able to determine what sources of data will be considered valid to the media
- Be strong at idea generation (specifically showing data in new and interesting ways)
- Be meticulous with tasks
- Have a flexible and efficient approach to time management
- Be able to use tools (such as Excel) to automate processes
- Be a real team player with strong communication skills
- Be actively interested in the news and current events
- Have experience/ knowledge of market research techniques
- Have knowledge/experience of social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc) though not essential
While all of the above are essential, it’s more important to us that you’re the right person for Distilled, that you have a thirst for knowledge and have the ability to get things done
This is the ideal position for a keen researcher who cares about data and is interested in showing data creatively. Not only does this role offer the chance to join the company at an exciting time, but if you’re someone who has a passion for learning, you’ll fit right in.
What will you get from working at Distilled:
- The ability to work with some of the biggest brands in the world
- The chance to join an established company with a start up mentality
- A relaxed and fun working environment
- Individual freedom and responsibility to take ownership of problems and solve them in creative ways
Distilled is an Online marketing company. Distilled is a well known name within the SEO industry and we enjoy a reputation for being experts at what we do. We have an HQ in London and launched into America with a new office in Seattle, WA in 2010. We’ve had non-stop growth here for the last 12 months, we also launched a New York office in mid-2011. There are 40 of us in total and we are 100% owned by the two directors.
We contribute regularly to many of the leading industry blogs and we encourage our staff to speak at conferences world wide. Last year we ran our own conference in London and this year we’ve expanded to include conferences in New Orleans, Boston and New York.
We’ll ensure there are opportunities to meet the rest of the team in New York and London. You’ll be joining an ambitious company where there are always opportunities to grab something and make it your own.
Working at Distilled is hard but always exciting and we are constantly offering opportunities to do amazing things.
This job's closed, so you can no longer apply for this position.
This vacancy for a Data journalist was imported via feed on Friday 10 February 2012